The Shingler at2148570 Alberta Ltd will be responsible for installing, repairing, and replacing roof shingles, ensuring high standards of workmanship and adherence to safety protocols.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 year to less than 2 years
Work site environment
- At heights
- Various locations
- Measure roof surfaces and calculate the required materials for installations or repairs.
- Install, repair, or replace various roofing materials such as shingles, tiles, and underlayment.
- Cut and shape roofing materials to fit around vents, chimneys, and other roof structures.
- Ensure proper sealing, flashing, and waterproofing of roofs to prevent leaks and ensure durability.
- Use hand tools and power equipment to perform roofing tasks with precision and efficiency.
- Inspect roofs for damage, assess the extent of repairs needed, and provide recommendations.
- Follow safety guidelines and use personal protective equipment to maintain a safe work environment.
- Collaborate with the roofing team to complete projects within specified timelines and quality standards.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Proven experience (X years) as a Shingler or in a similar roofing role.
- In-depth knowledge of roofing materials, installation techniques, and repair methods.
- Proficiency in using roofing tools and equipment, with the ability to work at heights.
- Physical fitness and ability to lift heavy materials and work in various weather conditions.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and commitment to delivering high-quality workmanship.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record may be required.
- Competitive hourly wage or salary based on experience and qualifications.
- Opportunities for skill enhancement, training, and career growth within a reputable roofing company.
- Supportive team environment and the chance to contribute to quality roofing projects.
- Install or replace asphalt shingles, wood shingles and shakes and masonry or baked clay roofing tiles on sloped roofs of buildings
- Apply waterproof coatings to concrete or other masonry surfaces below or above ground level
- Install sheet metal flashings
- Install, repair or replace built-up roofing systems using materials such as asphalt saturated felts and hot asphalt and gravel
- Install, repair or replace shingles, shakes and other roofing tiles on sloped roofs of buildings
- Estimate costs and materials
- Read and interpret blueprints, maps, drawings and specifications
- Erect and install scaffolding, falsework and other working platforms
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Physically demanding
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Handling heavy loads
- Large workload
- Repetitive tasks
- Work under pressure
- Team player
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Shingler:
1. What does a Shingler do, and what are their primary responsibilities?
Shinglers specialize in installing, repairing, and replacing roof shingles, tiles, or other roofing materials to protect buildings from weather elements and maintain structural integrity.
2. What skills and qualities are essential for a Shingler?
Key skills include knowledge of roofing materials, hand-eye coordination, physical strength, attention to detail, ability to work at heights, and adherence to safety protocols.
3. What tasks does a Shingler typically perform on the job?
Their tasks involve measuring roof surfaces, cutting and fitting shingles, installing underlayment, flashing, and ensuring proper ventilation for roof structures.
4. How important is safety in the role of a Shingler?
Safety is paramount. Shinglers must follow safety guidelines, use protective gear, and secure work areas to prevent accidents.
5. What challenges might Shinglers face in their roles?
Challenges may include working in varying weather conditions, handling heavy materials, and ensuring precision in roof installations.
6. How do Shinglers ensure quality roof installations?
They apply knowledge of roofing techniques, use appropriate tools, follow manufacturer guidelines, and inspect their work to ensure quality and durability.
7. What role does teamwork play in the job of a Shingler?
Teamwork is essential, especially on larger projects where collaboration with other roofers is necessary to complete installations efficiently.
8. How do Shinglers stay updated with new roofing technologies and materials?
They may attend training sessions, workshops, or receive certifications to stay informed about new roofing materials and techniques.
9. Are there opportunities for career advancement for Shinglers?
Experienced shinglers may advance to supervisory roles, become contractors, or specialize in specific roofing systems.
10. What qualities make an exceptional Shingler?
Exceptional shinglers display precision, attention to detail, physical endurance, problem-solving skills, adaptability, and commitment to quality workmanship.