We are seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented Office Administrative Assistant to join our team. The Office Administrative Assistant plays a pivotal role in ensuring the smooth operation of our office by providing crucial administrative support. This position involves a wide range of tasks, including managing schedules, coordinating communications, and maintaining office supplies. If you are a proactive and reliable professional with strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask effectively, we encourage you to apply for this essential role.
- Bachelor’s degree
- or equivalent experience
1 year to less than 2 years
- Manage and maintain executive or team schedules, including appointments, meetings, and travel arrangements.
- Answer and direct incoming phone calls and emails, providing information or redirecting inquiries as needed.
- Draft, edit, and proofread documents, reports, and correspondence, ensuring accuracy and professionalism.
- Coordinate meetings and conferences, including scheduling, sending invitations, and preparing meeting materials.
- Assist in managing office supplies and equipment, ensuring availability and ordering as necessary.
- Greet and assist visitors, ensuring a welcoming and professional office atmosphere.
- Assist with basic bookkeeping tasks, such as expense tracking and invoice processing.
- Maintain digital and physical filing systems, ensuring easy retrieval of documents.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail, including sorting, distributing, and ensuring timely delivery.
- Perform data entry and database management tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Support special projects and events by coordinating logistics and providing administrative assistance.
- Maintain a clean and organized office space, including organizing common areas and coordinating cleaning services.
- Collaborate with colleagues and supervisors to ensure efficient office operations.
- Uphold strict confidentiality in handling sensitive information.
- Assist with ad hoc administrative tasks as needed to support the team’s success.
- High school diploma or equivalent; additional education or certification in office administration is a plus.
- Prior administrative experience is preferred but not required; on-the-job training may be provided.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and familiarity with communication and scheduling tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Proactive and detail-oriented with the ability to multitask effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and tasks.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Reliable and punctual with a strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles is advantageous.
- Arrange and co-ordinate seminars, conferences, etc.
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- Schedule and confirm appointments
- Answer telephone and relay telephone calls and messages
- Answer electronic enquiries
- Compile data, statistics and other information
- Order office supplies and maintain inventory
- Arrange travel, related itineraries and make reservations
- Greet people and direct them to contacts or service areas
- Open and distribute regular and electronic incoming mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information
- Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
- Type and proofread correspondence, forms and other documents
- Respond to employee questions and complaints
- Produce reports
- Perform basic bookkeeping tasks
- Conduct credit and collections
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- Google Docs
- Sage Accounting Software
- Electronic scheduler
- Database software
- Accounting software
- Desktop publishing software
- MS Excel
- MS Office
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Word
- Quick Books
- Simply Accounting
- MS Windows
- Computerized bookkeeping system
Area of specialization
- Reports and records
Security and safety
- Basic security clearance
- Criminal record check
- Own transportation
- Public transportation is available
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Work under pressure
- Tight deadlines
- Repetitive tasks
- Attention to detail
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
- Life insurance
- Free parking available
- Parking available
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Include this reference number in your application
Here is what you must include in your application:
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Office administrative assistant:
1: What does an office administrative assistant do?
An office administrative assistant provides administrative support to ensure smooth daily operations within an office. This includes tasks like managing schedules, handling communication, and maintaining office supplies.
2: What are the key responsibilities of an office administrative assistant?
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing and organizing schedules for executives or teams.
- Answering and directing phone calls and emails.
- Coordinating meetings and appointments.
- Drafting and editing documents, reports, and correspondence.
- Managing office supplies and equipment.
- Greeting and assisting visitors.
- Assisting with basic bookkeeping and record-keeping tasks.
- Data entry and database management.
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail.
- Maintaining a clean and organized office space.
3: Is prior administrative experience required?
While experience is valuable, many entry-level administrative assistant positions provide on-the-job training. Strong organizational and communication skills are essential.
4: What software skills are important for this role? Proficiency in office software like Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and familiarity with communication and scheduling tools are valuable.
5: Is this role customer-facing?
Yes, office administrative assistants often interact with visitors, clients, and employees, so excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary.
6: Is multitasking a key skill for this role?
Yes, juggling various tasks and priorities efficiently is a crucial aspect of being an office administrative assistant.
7: What’s the most rewarding aspect of this role?
Helping create an organized and productive work environment and supporting the success of the team.
Q8: Are there opportunities for career growth? Yes, office administrative assistants can progress into roles like office manager, executive assistant, or specialize in areas like human resources or event planning.
9: Is confidentiality important in this role?
Absolutely. Office administrative assistants often handle sensitive information and must maintain strict confidentiality.
10: How can one stand out as an office administrative assistant?
Demonstrate excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and a proactive approach to problem-solving.
11: What are the typical work hours for this role?
Office administrative assistants typically work regular office hours, but the schedule may vary based on the organization’s needs.
12: Can this role be remote?
While some administrative tasks can be done remotely, many organizations prefer on-site assistants for tasks requiring in-person presence.
13: Do office administrative assistants need to handle financial tasks?
Basic bookkeeping, expense tracking, and financial record-keeping may be part of the job, depending on the organization’s needs.
14: What’s the role of technology in this position?
Technology is integral, with responsibilities ranging from managing digital calendars to using office software and communication tools effectively.